Paladins for ALL religions (in Ravenloft)



Why this all was born? Bane, the Black Lord. Divinity of Mankind.
Lathander Morninglord. Loviatar, Maiden of Pain. Milil, Lord of All Songs.
Osiris, Lord of the Dead. Vecna, the Chained God. Temple of the Eternal Order.
Zhakata the Devourer.

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 99 07:28AM MET
From: Mark Graydon
Allan_Graydon@BC.SYMPATICO.CA
>To: RAVENLOFT-L@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
>Subject: [RAVENLOFT] Paladin's for ALL Religions. (In Ravenloft.)
>It would be interesting
>to see what people would come up for powers of paladins of non-LG
>alignments.

Okay, because I'm very bored, and this topic is somewhat appealing, I shall write what I think a Paladin of each of the religions in Ravenloft would be like.

Top


Bane, the Black Lord.


Paladins of this god must be Lawful Neutral in alignment. They may heal by laying on hands and cure diseases just like a normal Paladin. However, they can only cure normal diseases. They themselves are not immune to diseases, but they are immune to all types of Fear, thus negating the need for Fear checks. They recieve the +2 bonus to saving throws that all Paladins get. Their aura is different however. Whenever they choose, they can activate their aura, which acts as a Fear effect. The aura extends 10' out from the Paladin, and causes all within it to make a saving throw vs. spells. Those who fail either flee (70% chance) or attack the Paladin madly (30% chance). These Paladins recieve no benefit when using a Holy Sword, cannot turn or control undead, but they may call a steed upon reaching 3rd level. They must abide by all restrictions of Paladins. They cannot be turned by evil clerics. Paladins tend to wear black armor and capes with red linings. Upon reaching 9th level they can cast spells from the spheres of All, Combat, Healing, Necromantic, and Sun. Their spell progression is the same as a normal Paladin.

Top


Divinity of Mankind.


These Paladins are the same as the normal Paladin except in the following respects. They cannot turn undead, but can use a Soothing Word three times per day. This ends a Berserker Rage, removes the effects of a Fear spell or check, or momentarily calms down a number of people equal to the Paladin's level. They can only cast spells from the spheres of All, Charm, and Healing. These Paladins get the Reading / Writing proficiency for free.

Top


Lathander Morninglord.


These Paladins can turn undead at first level, like a cleric of the same level. Also, if the undead is susceptible to sunlight, they turn the creature as two levels higher. Upon reaching 3rd level, the Paladin can cast Faerie Fire once per day. If an evil cleric tries to turn these priests however, it is as if the Land itself helps the evil priest, for the priest turns as two levels higher. Also, Paladins of Lathander cannot call for a steed the way a normal Paladin can. They can cast spells from the following spheres: All, Elemental, Healing, and Sun.

Top


Loviatar, Maiden of Pain.


These Paladins must be Lawful Evil in alignment. They cannot cure disease with a touch, and are themselves as vulnerable to disease as the next person, but instead they can cause a Pain touch once a week for every five levels. This touch causes a saving throw vs. spells and if failed, the victim is wracked with pain of such measure that he suffers a -4 penalty to hit and a -2 penalty to all Dexterity checks for a number of rounds equal to the Paladin's level. Their aura acts as a Protection from Good spell. They can cast spells from the following spheres: All, Charm, Combat, Elemental, and Necromantic. They cannot heal by laying on hands, but instead cause 2 damage per level by laying on hands, but a saving throw vs. spells is allowed for half damage.

Top


Milil, Lord of All Songs.


These Paladins must be Neutral Good, and instead of having an aura of protection, they can Enthrall a group of people by singing. They can use this once per day, but it doesn't affect those with a higher wisdom or level than the Paladin singing. They can turn undead, but not until the 4th level. They cast their spells from the spheres of All, Charm, Creation, Divination, Healing, and Protection.

Top


Osiris, Lord of the Dead.


These Paladins are Lawful Good, and when they gain their turning abilities, they get a +2 bonus to all attempts. They can cast spells from the following spheres: All, Guardian, Necromantic, and Protection. Also, they can pray for Necromantic wizard spells and cast them. For instance, the first level Wizard spell, Chill Touch is available as a 1st level Priest spell in the Necromantic sphere for these Paladins. These priests cannot cure disease and when they lay on hands, they only heal 1 hit point per level however.

Top


Vecna, the Chained God.


These Paladins must be Lawful Evil, and their Lay on Hands causes as much damage as it would normally heal. Their Cure Disease is changed to a Cause Disease power (debilitating). Their aura is the equivalent of a Protection From Good, and they can cast spells from the following spheres: All, Astral, Necromantic, Summoning, and Thought. These Paladins cannot turn undead, only control them.

Top


Temple of the Eternal Order.


These Paladins are Lawful Evil, and can only control undead. They control three times the amount though! They can cast spells from the spheres of All, Astral, Charm, Necromantic, and Summoning. Their Aura is the equivalent of a Protection from Good spell.

Top


Zhakata the Devourer.


These Paladins cannot turn undead. They must be Chaotic Neutral. They can instill hunger in those that they touch, causing the victim to save vs. spells or suffer a -4 penalty to all ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, for a number of rounds equal to the Paladin's level. If the save is successful, then the penalty is reduced to -2. This replaces the ability to Cure Disease. These Paladins cast spells from the following spheres: All, Combat, Elemental, and Summoning.

Top


Mark, Ravenloft List Monitor.






Top