Home page                                                                                                                           Historical Casteldurante

 

Cathedral

Built on the ancient benedectine pre-Romanesque abbey of St. Cristopher and restored in Renaissance times, was almost completely rebuilt by Giuseppe Tosi in 1759. The fašade was executed after Giuseppe Tacchi's project. It shows two bell towers: on the right a modern one (1958), behind the cathedral a Romanesque one. The interior is aisleless. The entrance to the baptistery, got out of the ruins of the nave of the early abbey, is on the right. The entrance door shows a part of the ancient Wrought iron railing by Metauro Balducci (XV-XVI

Cathedral

Cathedral

      century). The font is a work by Ricci from S.Ippolito (1747). A fresco after the school of Urbino, dating back to the end of the XV century, representing S. Eracliano V, is on the bottom wall. "The Virgin whith St. Rocco and St. Sebastian" by Domenico Peruzzini (1629) is above the first altar to the right of the cathedral. The chapel of the Sacrament opens to the right of the presbytery, while the chapel of the Virgin of Loreto opens on the left. Above the third altar is the "Coronation of the Virgin" by C. Mariotti and on both sides the "Annunciation" (the Virgin and the Archangel Gabriel) by Claudio Ridolfi (1642); above the second altar is the "Crucifix" painted on wood by Pietro da Rimini (1320); under the first altar is the body of St. Placido martyr, a Roman soldier dressed after the fashion on the eighteenth century. The sacristy houses, besides various paintings, the "Treasure" with various silwerware (XVI - XVIII centuries), among which the urn of St. Cristopher's humerus, attributed to Pollaiolo, given by cardinal Bessarione in 1472 and taken in procession during the Saint's feast (25th July) and an enamel wrought silver cross dating back to the fourteenth century.